Blog #5: The Aftermath
Overall I noticed many concepts from class taking part in this experience. It was a nice to be able to relate what I have learned and really get a better understanding of the situations I encountered at the Rock Island High School with the ELL students. I enjoyed working with these kids because even though many of them faced hardships that people in America would not even be able to imagine, yet they have a smile on their faces every day. They all seem to get along with each other pretty well. I suppose it could be due to the fact that they all share common difficulties in life and in learning this new language. I found out though that many of these kids can speak multiple languages already. It is rare to find a student in this program that only speaks English and their native language. A majority of the kids can speak 3 three of four other languages.
This experience has really helped me in the interpersonal communication area. It has been much more helpful than just learning from the book would have done for me. I believe this experience will help me to be more sensitive in the future about new people in the United States. I will know not to judge them just because they are from other countries. I will know there is a reason they came here and that it most likely was not a pleasant reason. Going into this course I knew I would learn something but I did not expect to alter my thinking on this topic. I honestly feel as if I have grown as a person since taking this course and volunteering with the children in the ELL program.
No comments:
Post a Comment